Google Assistant is getting a clever new feature called “Quick Phrases” which aims to improve the quality of your life. When enabled, the Google Assistant will wait in standby mode to detect your voice commands. With Quick Phrases, you can ignore alarms, timers and answer incoming calls without saying the hotword “Hey Google”.
Ignore alarms and calls without saying “Ok Google”
Once available, you can try out Quick Phrases by enabling it from Assistant Settings. Starting now, you can use Quick Phrases to stop or snooze alarms and timers and answer or reject incoming calls. Check out the new Quick Phrases switches, courtesy of XDA-Developers:
As you can see in the image below, there is a new prompt that reminds you to simply say the word “Answer” or “Stop” after enabling Quick Phrases.
XDA’s Mishaal Rahman spotted the feature on a Pixel 3 XL with the latest Android 12 beta with Google app version 126.96.36.199. We also tested a Pixel 3 XL with the latest Android 12 beta with Google app beta 188.8.131.52 (it was the latest update here) and the feature wasn’t available from me.
Assistant Quick Phrases: Complete list of commands
According to a separate report by 9to5Google, Google is also working to add Quick Phrases support for many features. However, they appear to only be available on other Google Assistant devices such as smart displays and smart speakers. You can check out the whole list below:
- Set alarms: “Set an alarm for 7 am”
- Delete alarms: “Cancel alarm”
- Show alarms: “What time is the alarm set?”
- Send broadcasts: “Send a broadcast”
- Answering calls: “Answer” and “Reject”
- Ask about the time: “What time is it?”
- Ask about the weather: “What’s the weather like?”
- Turn the lights on and off: “Turn on the lights”
- Turn on and dim the lights: “Increase the brightness”
- Volume control: “Turn up the volume”
- Pause and resume the music: “Pause the music”
- Skip tracks: “Skip this song”
- Set timer: “Set a timer for 2 minutes”
- Cancel timer: “Cancel timer”
- Pause and resume timers: “Pause the timer”
- Reset timer: “Reset timer”
- Show timer: “How much time is left?”
- Reminder: “Create a reminder”
- Notes for the family: “Create a note for the family”
So yeah, you no longer have to shout Hey Google or Ok Google before the business list listed above.
Featured Image Courtesy: XDA-Developers